Does My Child Need a Second Year of Kindergarten

Your child is eligible for a second year of kindergarten if your child's early childhood teacher has assessed that your child has developmental delays in at least two key areas of development and will achieve better outcomes at kindergarten rather than going to school.

Boy drinking milkDuring the kindergarten year, the early childhood teacher will work with you to plan together for your child's transition to school.

In exceptional circumstances, a second year of funded kindergarten may be considered.

Your child's assessment

There are specific guidelines that the early childhood teacher will follow when assessing your child. These guidelines are designed to help the teacher identify your child's needs and establish suitable goals.

The areas assessed by the early childhood teacher include:

  • self-care (your child's ability to look after themselves sufficiently)
  • ability to speak and/or understand language
  • cognitive (intellectual) development
  • social development – how your child interacts with other children
  • emotional development
  • other factors may also be considered.

Your involvement in the process

Your involvement in the process is important and you and the teacher should work together to achieve the best outcome for your child.

With your consent, the teacher will complete the assessment of your child, seeking the support of other early childhood development professionals as needed.

The teacher will discuss the outcome of your child's assessment with you and if they believe that your child has a developmental delay and recommends a second year of kindergarten they will then submit a declaration of eligibility to the Department.

School exemption process for children attending a second year of kindergarten

If your child will turn six years of age (compulsory school age) while attending a second year of funded kindergarten, your child must be exempted from attending school. As the parent/guardian, you are responsible for seeking this exemption from the Department.

To find out what you need to do, see:

Further information

For more information on the range of services available to support families with children who have a disability or developmental delay, see:

To find a Maternal and Child Health Service, kindergarten, primary or secondary school in any suburb or postcode within Victoria, see:

To find your local government authority, see: