Help in your language

​​​​​We can help if English is not your main language.

We can give advice in other languages to help you with your child's education and health.

If you speak another language at home, it's good to keep doing this. This is because it will help your child:​

  • meet people with the same culture
  • build their identity through connections to their culture
  • learn English.

Translate this website

Our website uses a free tool to translate into other languages. This tool is a guide and may not be accurate.

Interpreting and translating services for parents

If your child is going to a Victorian government school, the school can provide an interpreter to talk to you. This service is free.

The interpreter can be used for:

  • parent–teacher conferences
  • information sessions on school programs
  • issues about discipline or welfare
  • educational assessment of students
  • enrolling students.

Schools can arrange for translation of things like:

  • newsletters
  • school program information
  • other key documents.

Contact your school to arrange for interpreting and translating services.

Speak in the language you know best

Speak to your child in the language you know best.

This helps to build your child’s cultural identity and sense of belonging.

Speaking two or more languages helps children become better thinkers and communicators. It can also help them learn English faster.

Learn more about speaking in the language you know best.

Newly arrived learners

Newly arrived learners can access an intensive English program. They can also get special supports to help them in the early stages of learning English.

Speak to your school for more information, or see newly arrived learners information for teachers.

Translated resources

COVID-19 advice

Early childhood


Phone us using an interpreter

  1. Call the National Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450
  2. Ask them to call (03) 9637 2000
  3. They will stay on the phone call and interpret.