Enrol in kindergarten

Once you have chosen a kindergarten and know about kindergarten fees, the next step is to enrol.

Some councils have a central enrolment process. Check with your council or the kindergarten on how to enrol.

Information you need to give

  • Your child’s name and address and details of any special needs.
  • Information about yourself and any other parents, carers or guardians in your child’s life.
  • Details of people who can collect your child.
  • Your child’s birth certificate or other identity documents.
  • Your child's medical health and immunisation status.
  • Details of any parenting orders or legal matters to do with the care or safety of your child. The kindergarten must keep your information private.

No Jab No Play

To have your child's enrolment confirmed, you need to give the kindergarten:

  • a current immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register, and
  • the statement must show your child is up to date with all vaccinations that are due for their age. Or they're up to date with the vaccinations they're able to receive.

This is known as "No Jab No Play".

The immunisation history statement from the Australian Immunisation Register is the only document accepted for enrolments. Letters from GPs or local councils are not accepted.

You can find out more about No Jab No Play on the Better Health Channel.

No Jab No Play and income support

You need to keep your child's vaccinations current to receive some family assistance payments.

For more information, visit the Australian Department of Human Services or visit a Centrelink or Medicare Service Centre.