Multicultural education is not a discrete learning area, or simply the provision of Languages and English as an Additional Language. In a school context, and with the support of school policies and programs, multicultural education helps students develop:
- proficiency in English
- competency in a language or languages other than English
- in depth knowledge and awareness of their own and other cultures
- an understanding of the multicultural nature of Australia’s past and present history
- an understanding of, and skills to interact in, intercultural settings
- an appreciation of the importance of local, national and international interdependence in social, environmental, economic and political arenas and an understanding that mutual support in these areas is vital to local and global harmony.
Schools should make sure multicultural perspectives are incorporated into all aspects of school life by:
- promoting diversity as a positive learning experience
- incorporating multicultural perspectives across all learning domains
- incorporating multicultural, anti-racism, and human rights perspectives in school policies and practices
- enhancing teachers’ and students’ intercultural understanding and cross-cultural communication skills
- making sure all school policies, including three year strategic and annual plans, codes of conduct, dress codes and discipline policies reflect the diverse nature of the school community.
Civics, citizenship and multicultural education
The Victorian Government’s vision is for all Victorian learning and development settings to equip children and young people with the knowledge and skills to participate in and contribute to our diverse society as active and informed citizens - locally, nationally and internationally.
'Victorian. And proud of it.' is Victoria's new Multicultural Policy Statement. This new policy sets out the Victorian Government's way forward with a range of policies, programs and services that encourage every one of us to participate in a stronger, safer and more harmonious community.
For more information see: Victorian. And proud of it.
The School Policy and Advisory Guide includes multicultural education policies and advice for government schools. For more information, see:School Policy and Advisory Guide
For information about interpreting the legislation guiding civil and human rights and understanding the principles of cultural diversity supporting school and community life in Victoria, see:
Multicultural Victoria Act 2011
Racial and Religious Tolerance (RRT) Act 2001
The Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities