Community language schools

Community language schools provide language programs to school-aged children (foundation to year 12) and preschool-aged children (where approved), after school or on weekends.

These community-based, not-for-profit organisations offer programs in over 50 languages which allow children to learn or maintain their mother tongue or heritage language.

There are 178 currently funded accredited community language schools.

To help maintain mother tongue and heritage languages in young children, 40 community language schools have also been approved to deliver preschool programs places between 2020 and 2022. Community language schools delivering preschool places are identified in the list of schools available below.

Find an accredited community language school

For a list of currently funded accredited community language schools, see:

Funding available for community language schools

There are two options for funding for community language schools.

Community language schools funding program

Annual funding is available through our community language school funding program. The funding is designed to support the delivery of school-aged and preschool language programs (where approved) and can cover costs such as:

  • teacher salaries
  • curriculum resources
  • rent and other costs

Accreditation and funding

To apply for funding under this program, community language schools must apply for accreditation.

Accreditation is usually granted for up to three years, after which time schools must apply to be reaccredited.

Per capita funding is only provided on behalf of eligible school-aged students and preschool-aged children (who will turn four years of age by 30 April of the year they are enrolled).

For more information regarding eligibility for accreditation and funding, contact

Victorian Multicultural Commission community grants program

The Victorian Multicultural Commission's community grants program supports culturally and linguistically diverse communities, including new and emerging communities.

Non-accredited community language schools can apply for funding support through the Capacity building and participation grants program.

Use of government school premises

Government schools are encouraged to make their premises and facilities available to community language schools to conduct their language programs at fair and reasonable cost.

Community language schools should use the following School Council licence agreement when entering into rental agreements with government schools:

Training for community language school teachers

Community Languages Victoria (CLV) is the peak body which represents community language schools in Victoria. It provides advice and professional learning programs, including the following credit-bearing teacher training courses for community language school member teachers and administrators:

Language teaching methodology

Community language school teachers who do not have language teaching qualifications recognised in Victoria may apply for 30-hour credit-bearing tertiary courses in language teaching methodology conducted by a range of Victorian universities.

Certificate IV in Community Languages Teaching

This course provides a recognised vocational education qualification, further job and/or educational pathways and an opportunity to network with other teachers working in the sector.

Resources for community language schools

The Languages and Multicultural Education Resource Centre

This specialist library and support centre provides resources and advice for teachers in the areas of languages, EAL, human rights and multicultural education. Community language school teachers may borrow (at no cost) reference materials and journals, posters, culturally inclusive resources, multimedia resources and materials in over 40 languages.

Languages Online

The Languages Online website contains downloadable worksheets for students learning Chinese, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Macedonian, Turkish or Spanish.

Guidelines for parent or guardian complaints

Parents or guardians who wish to make a formal complaint about an accredited community language school should refer to the following guidelines:

Get advice

For advice, email: