Effective teaching is the single biggest determinant of student improvement in the school. Teachers not only have a direct impact on student achievement but also student engagement and motivation for learning. What teachers do in the classroom and how they interact with students is vital.
The Excellence in teaching and learning priority focuses on four dimensions of the
What is excellence in teaching and learning?
Excellence in teaching and learning means teachers:
- have a deep knowledge of the Victorian Curriculum
- are prepared with strong content knowledge in key learning areas
- have the skills to utilise high-impact pedagogical strategies to improve student learning.
Teachers' role in student learning
Teachers maximise student learning when they create a classroom environment that is, supportive, well-controlled and characterised by a clear focus on learning growth.
Great teachers are aware that their own learning journey is never complete. They actively seek feedback and collaborate with others in an effort to improve student outcomes.
Collectively, teachers are more effective when they work together on:
- problem-solving and planning
- learning assessment
- providing feedback to help students monitor their own learning.