Item uses these practice principles: Reflective practice, Partnerships with families, High expectations for every child, Respectful relationships and responsive engagement, Equity and diversity, Assessment for learning and development, Integrated teaching and learning approaches, Partnerships with professionals.
Item responds to these sub-outcomes: Not applicable
The early years are recognised as the foundation years for children’s
development. In particular, the first six years are crucial for young children
in developing their language and identity. Secure and trusting relationships
between children, families and early childhood professionals, are essential for
children to feel valued and accepted.
fka Children's Services advocates for children's cultural and linguistic rights and provides professional development and support to education and care services in the provision of culturally rich environments that reflect a civil society.
fkaCS support is directly aligned with the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) and the National Quality Standards, and is underpinned by the United Nations Convention of the rights of the child.
Programs are designed to support Kindergartens develop and embed a cultural inclusion strategy to ensure their pedagogy and practice respects multiple ways of being and understanding and children are supported in learning English as an additional language.
fkaCS will work with each Kindergarten or group of Kindergartens to develop an agreed program of support that may include:
- cultural inclusion action planning to identify the unintended barriers for children's and family's active participation in education and care services;
- the provision of a worker who speaks a community language;
- culturally responsive curriculum and practice program design and implementation
- support in developing communication and engagement tools and strategies
- online or onsite individual or group coaching and mentoring
- group or self-paced professional learning opportunities.
fka offers four packages of cultural inclusion support for kindergarten services, customised to meet individual needs. Within each package, services can decide what level of support they require in consultation with fka Children's Services.
fkaCS appreciates the current restrictions on delivering onsite, in-program support to Early Childhood Education and Care Services during the current health crisis. During this time fkaCS will continue to deliver a program of support via electronic means. Where onsite, in-program support was intended, fkaCS will work closely with services to develop alternate methods of delivery that will support services to achieve the goals identified in the annual plan.
Some of the options available are:
- participating in 'Zoom' video/telephone conferencing to attend facilitated learning, reflective practice and coaching conversations
- access to Toolkits comprising resources and tools to support your cultural inclusion strategy
- self-paced learning packages for you to work though with your team.
If your service has requested community language support (bilingual support), fkaCS is currently developing alternate ways of delivering this support electronically.
fkaCS can provide support for kindergarten services to engage multilingual families and children in learning at home and support returning to kindergarten. Some of the options available are:
- curriculum design and resource development for multilingual families to support children learning from home.
- communication tools to support engaging with multilingual families for example, bilingual support, video conferencing in language and developing connections to local community support.
- developing social stories to engage in learning.
- developing strategies to support assessment of children's learning and development whilst learning from home.
- transitioning back to kindergarten processes and plans.
To discuss options further please contact fkaCS on 94284471 or via email@example.com
Package one - $1375 (incl. GST)
Package two - $2750 (incl. GST)
Package three - $4125 (incl. GST)
Package four - $5500 (incl. GST)
Services that do not wish to purchase a package outlined above should contact fkaCS to discuss costs for different levels of support.
Target population: children, parent/carers and educators in kindergarten settings who require support in the areas of cultural competency, inclusion and maintaining home language.
Staffing: services should consider the cost of backfill when determining the cost of accessing the training and consultancy elements of this resource.
The provider recommends the following as the minimum backfill requirements per participant to engage in Cultural Inclusion Support:
Package one - 3 hours
Package two - 6 hours
Package three - 9 hours
Package four - 12 hours
Services may wish to consider adding additional backfill hours to support the implementation of their learning into their program and practice.
Access and inclusion
Strength of Evidence
Level 6 - Supported by expert opinion