Item uses these practice principles: Partnerships with families.
Item responds to these sub-outcomes: Children interact verbally and non-verbally with others for a range of purposes, Children engage with a range of texts and get meaning from these texts, Children begin to understand how symbols and pattern systems work.
Hanen: I'm Ready! Program for Building Early Literacy in the Home aims to bolster parents’ confidence and autonomy in reading to their child and how best to cultivate emergent literacy. The program focuses on supporting parents in selecting and applying specific strategies to aid their children’s emergent literacy development.
the program is delivered to parents/carers of typically developing children between three and five years old and of children with a mild language delay who are developmentally three to five years old. Program / practice descriptions and details:
- six training sessions (plus a required orientation session) for parents in small, personalised groups
- simultaneous sessions where children continue to build their language and literacy skills with the help of trained support staff
- a Hanen-certified speech pathologist or early childhood education professional who has completed the I’m Ready!™ advanced workshop to lead the program
- individualised parent coaching from the program leader and support staff throughout the program.
- Session 1: Turn Book Reading into a Time to Talk
- Session 2: Make New Words Sparkle
- Session 3: Help Your Child Understand the Story
- Session 4: Deepen Your Child’s Understanding
- Session 5: Build Your Child’s Understanding of How Print Works
- Session 6: Help Your Child Hear the Sounds in Words
Supervision / coaching: parents will receive coaching throughout the program.
Factors to consider: educators should ensure a partnership approach with families to ensure child outcomes and strategies are consistent between the home and service environment.