Item uses these practice principles: Reflective practice, High expectations for every child, Respectful relationships and responsive engagement, Equity and diversity, Integrated teaching and learning approaches.
Item responds to these sub-outcomes: Children interact verbally and non-verbally with others for a range of purposes, Children express ideas and make meaning using a range of media, Children engage with a range of texts and get meaning from these texts, Children begin to understand how symbols and pattern systems work, Children use information and communication technologies to access information, investigate ideas and represent their thinking.
The Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale – Revised (ECERS-R) is designed to evaluate quality of provision for children aged 2½ to 5 years in centre-based settings. ECERS-R contains a wide range of statements or ‘indicators’ with which to evaluate the quality of the early years environment in its broadest sense. These indicators, like building blocks to celebrate strengths and provide signposts to improvement. They also provide a rigorous means of measuring quality - and improvement in quality - over time. The ECERS-R evaluates seven broad dimensions of quality:
- space and furnishings e.g. room layout, accessibility of resources
- personal care routines e.g. welfare requirements such as health; safety and provision for sleeping
- language and reasoning e.g. supporting children’s communication, language and literacy development; critical thinking
- activities e.g. provision of an exciting and accessible learning environment, resources to support specific types of play
- interaction e.g. supervision, support for social interactions
- programme structure e.g. opportunities for children to access their own curriculum, planning schedules/routines to meet children’s needs
- provision for parents and staff e.g. partnership with parents, staff training and development
Prices are around $55, depending on which online book retailer it is purchased through.
Target population: early childhood educators.
Training requirements: ECERS-R can be used in combination with the Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale extension (ECERS-E).
Staffing: services should consider the cost of backfill when determining the cost of accessing this resource. Services may also consider engaging a coach to support enhanced implementation.
Factors to consider: consider how staff may be able to share the practice knowledge they obtain from this resource with others at the service. This will ensure that improved approaches to practice or innovative ideas can be implemented across the service as a whole.