Tier 1: Positive Mental Health Promotion
URSTRONG workshops aim to improve students' self-confidence and ability to form friendships and connections. The program provides student workshops as well as Parent-Child workshops. The Day of Friendship student workshops include:
• Fuzzies and Friends for Prep to Grade 2
• Heart of Friendship for Grades 3 and 4
• Friendship Fires for Grades 5 and 6 and
• Friendship Tips for Teens for Years 7 and 8
Language of Friendship (parent-child) workshops provide participants with a common language for talking about friendships, connection and communication.
The cost of URSTRONG workshops is as follows:
Fuzzies and Friends: $27.50 (face-to-face) or $22 (online) per participant (inc. GST)
Heart of Friendship: $33 (face-to-face) or $27.50 (online) per participant (inc. GST)
Friendship Fires: $33 (face-to-face) or $27.50 (online) per participant (inc. GST)
Friendship Tips for Teens: $33 (face-to-face) or $27.50 (online) per participant (inc. GST)
The Language of Friendship workshop costs: $3850 (face-to-face) or $2200 (online) (inc. GST)
Discounts are available for groups greater than 100.
Target population: Students in Years 1 to 8 and their teachers, parents and health and wellbeing staff.
Program adaptability: URSTRONG adapts workshop content based on the issues and needs of a school after consultation with the school admin or teachers. URSTRONG's core concepts are always covered in the same manner; however, case studies and role-playing activities are modified to better reflect students' experiences.
Staffing: Backfilling is not required as URSTRONG presenters deliver the workshops.
Training requirements: URSTRONG workshops' minimum requirements include a reliable internet connection and a projection device (e.g. whiteboard). In online workshops schools generally organise students in a group setting with presenter projected onto screen or interactive whiteboard or with students on individual devices with headphones. Face-to-face workshops are generally conducted in a classroom or auditorium based on the group size. Programs range from 45 to 90 minutes depending on the age group and format.
Factors to consider: URSTRONG requires a minimum of 50 participants per workshop to enhance its overall experience. Exceptions are made for schools with smaller student numbers.
Australian context: The program has been developed and applied in Australia.
Strength of Evidence
Level 3: Foundational and emerging evidence for program
• Increased self-confidence
• Increased knowledge of what to do if students have a fight with a friend
• Increased knowledge of what to do if someone is mean-on-purpose
• An increased sense of control for students over what is happening in their social world
• Increased self-awareness and sense of self-worth
• Increased understanding that conflict is a normal part of a friendship
• Increased understanding that it is not mean to stand up for oneself
• Increased knowledge of the importance of body language in communicating
• Increased knowledge of what to do if having hurt feelings
• Increased understanding that a single incident of mean behaviour isn't bullying