Tier 2: Early Intervention cohort specific support
SAFEMinds provides training for educators and school staff in primary and secondary schools to:
• help increase early intervention for young people's mental health (specifically mood disorders and self-harm)
• increase the engagement of parents and carers to support young people's mental health
• help develop clear and effective referral pathways between schools and community mental health services.
The Suicide Risk Continuum Training is a specialised training package for wellbeing coordinators, student support service staff, level coordinators and assistant principals to help them understand, identify and respond to self-harm and suicidal behaviour in secondary school students.
Target population: Educators in primary and secondary schools.
Program adaptability: Training can be delivered via webinar.
Staffing: Backfilling may be required for staff to attend training.
Training requirements: SAFEMinds offers a one-day training. The Suicide Risk Continuum training is delivered as part of a package.
Australian experience: These programs were developed and have been implemented in the Australian context.
Strength of Evidence
• Increase educators knowledge and understanding on how to identify and manage mental health, suicide and self-harm
• Train school staff around referral process and family engagement to better support student mental health