From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. This page is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
The English Online Interview is a powerful online tool for assessing the English skills of students from Foundation to Level 2. It assesses students across the three modes of English in the Victorian Curriculum F-10 – Reading, Writing and Speaking and Listening.
The English Online Interview is a one-to-one interview between a teacher and student, using texts and downloadable resources designed specifically for the English Online Interview. Teachers record each student’s responses directly onto the online system. This data is used to generate reports that provide a point-in-time overview of student achievement and valuable diagnostic information to inform program planning and resource allocation.
It is mandatory for Foundation students to be assessed during the English Online Interview assessment period. Schools can also use the English Online Interview for students in Years 1 and 2 at this time. In 2017, the English Online Interview assessment period is: 30 January to 10 March 2017. This assessment period has been increased by two weeks to provide additional time for schools to become familiar with the new Insight Assessment Platform.
The English Online Interview can be accessed via: Insight Assessment Platform (Insight)
The (English Online Interview) Guide provides advice and instructions for principals, teachers and school administrators about setting up and preparing for the English Online Interview. The Guide also provides module selection recommendations for each year level and an overview of scoring for each of the modules, including information about how the scoring is aligned to the Victorian Curriculum, as well as information on interpreting English Online Interview reports.
The English Online Interview Guide is available both in Word and PDF version below:
English Online Interview Guide 2017 (docx - 1.38mb)
English Online Interview Guide 2017 (pdf - 1.92mb)
Resources to support the English Online Interview
A range of materials are provided to support teachers and school administrators to become familiar with and administer the English Online Interview.
- Supporting resources - includes resources to support teachers implement assessments, and resources to support students with disabilities
- Understanding the English Online Interview - a series of video clips to assist teachers using the English Online Interview to identify what to look and listen for as they progress through a given module with a student
- English Online Interview Teaching Resource - supports teachers to build on students’ existing English skills and understandings as assessed through the English Online Interview
- Digital Storybooks - supporting teachers in administering the English Online Interview
- Help and Support – including information for schools seeking technical assistance or other advice about the English Online Interview.