ECIS Professionals

Early Childhood Intervention Services (ECIS) support your family if your child has a disability or developmental delay, from birth to school entry.

ECIS connect you with a range of different professionals who may work with your child, including:

Audiologist - An audiologist tests your child’s hearing. This may be necessary to make sure your child can hear well enough to learn to speak and understand language. Audiologists have special methods of testing the hearing function of very young children and children with other handicaps. If a child is found to be deaf, the audiologist may work with an ear specialist to improve the child's hearing. Sometimes the audiologist will fit your child with a hearing aid and help you to teach your child to use the hearing aid.

Educational Advisers - An educational adviser gives a developmental assessment for your child and monitors your child's development over time. They can discuss the long-term implications of developmental delay and the impact of learning problems with you and your family. An educational adviser also offers individual and group educational programs over all areas of development, general parenting advice and assistance and support to generic services.

Special Education Teacher - A special education teacher works in a variety of settings, including kindergartens, child care centres and play groups, to plan individual programs for children, families and teachers. A special education teacher will give you valuable advice when your child is moving to kindergarten or school.

Occupational Therapist - An occupational therapist applies programs to help with your child’s fine motor skills, gross motor skills and visual perception. They aim to maximise your child's independence in everyday activities, such as eating, dressing and toileting. The occupational therapist also gives advice and assistance when equipment is required to maximise your child’s functioning.

Parent Adviser for the Hearing Impaired - A parent adviser for the hearing impaired gives you information about hearing loss and management of hearing aids, information on language and speech development and programs to improve speech and language development.

Paediatrician - A paediatrician is a doctor specialising in children's health and development. Paediatricians work closely with other professionals and can refer you to other specialists when necessary.

Physiotherapist - A physiotherapist is trained to give an assessment and apply programs to support skills development in areas of movement, posture and balance. They assess your child's gross motor needs and plan a program based on their individual needs. The physiotherapist helps you to understand your child's development and teaches you to encourage normal movement and development.

Psychologist - A psychologist assesses your child's developmental and behavioural needs, and develops individual/ group programs if your child has specific developmental needs or delays. A psychologist offers behaviour management strategies to help improve the social, emotional and overall development of your child. They will work in partnership with your family and offer parenting education in a group setting if needed.

Speech Pathologist - A speech pathologist works with children who have difficulties talking, understanding speech, stuttering, eating, drinking, swallowing and drooling. A speech pathologist helps you encourage your child's speech and language development and may suggest other means of communication, such as signs or a communication board.

Therapist - A therapist works with you and your child, either individually or in small groups, to improve your child's development and to help your child learn practical skills needed for living.