Kindergarten programs are designed to improve your child’s development in the following key areas:
- social skills, like how to play with other children in a calm, sharing and rewarding way
- self-awareness and respect for others
- emotional skills, for example understanding their feelings
- language, literacy and numeracy skills, such as reading stories and counting objects
- a joy for learning and group activities, such as talking, drawing and making things together with other children their own age
- ability to make new friends
- exposure to new ideas and concepts.
Kindergarten also provides families with access to:
- support and assistance for children with special needs
- resources and links to community support services.
Get the Flash Player
To find a kindergarten near you, see:
Find an early childhood service or school
I Love Kindergarten - this video covers information about the benefits of kindergarten and how to enrol and has also been translated into a range languages.