Professional development is a way to ensure VET teachers and trainers continue to be at the front of innovation and quality education.
VET Development Centre (VDC)
The VDC runs professional development workshops and webinarsto all VET teaching and non-teaching staff.
The Department also contracts the VDC to deliver workforce development training to improve the knowledge, skills and practice of VET teachers, trainers, assessors and the staff who support them.
In September 2017, the VDC will hold the annual Teaching and Learning Conference. This event is a highlight of the teaching year, providing a unique opportunity for VET practitioners to network with peers at the RACV Torquay Resort.
During 2017, VDC is providing funded places for Learn Local providers to attend professional development workshops and webinars.
VDC is also providing funded places for Teachers of VET in Secondary School Students to attend professional development workshops and webinars in 2017.
Contact VET Development Centre
For further information please see:
Training Virtual Campus
Training VC is a virtual learning platform offering a range of eLearning products and services.
The Department has contracted out the operational management of Training VC to eWorks which is a business arm of Kangan Institute of TAFE.
For further information, see
International Specialist Skills Institute (ISS)
ISS Institute is an independent, national organisation that works with governments, industry and education institutions to enhanced skills and experience in traditional trades, professions and leading-edge technologies.
The ISS Institute's International Fellowship program supports a large number of Australians and international leaders across a broad cross-section of industries to undertake applied research that will benefit economic development through vocational training, industry innovation and advancement.
The program encourages mutual and shared learning, leadership and communities of practice. By working with partner organisations, the ISS Institute invests in individuals who wish to create an aspirational, skilled and smart Australia through innovation, mastery and knowledge cultivation.
The Department works in partnership with the ISS Institute by funding Fellowships aimed to develop opportunities within the VET sector to assist in building an Education State in Victoria that produces excellence and reduce the impact of disadvantage.
Vocational Training Practitioners Fellowship (10 fellowships per calendar year)
- The Department funds the International Vocational Training Practitioners Fellowships to provide an opportunity to vocational training practitioners in Victoria to travel overseas and examine innovative approaches that demonstrate potential benefits for, and application in, Victoria.
- Fellowships are available to vocational training practitioners who are employed by VET providers that have a current VET Funding Contract, including TAFEs, Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) contracted as providers of Victorian Government subsidised Training and Learn Local Organisations (LLOs) that are registered with the Adult, Community and Further Education (ACFE) Board.
- A key outcome from this Fellowship is to develop effective approaches for student engagement and participation, quality teaching and learning, employment and industry productivity.
- The Fellows become ambassadors of the Department, the ISS Institute and their respective organisations, and on their return, share their learning and disseminate to peers, colleagues and the broader VET sector and government a range of considerations and recommendations to enhance innovation, productivity, quality training delivery and an ultimately strong Education State.
International Industry Leaders' Fellowships (1 fellowship per calendar year)
- The Department funds the International Industry Leaders' Fellowship to enable leading international experts to come and share their expertise in Victoria to build capacity and capability within the VET sector.
- These Fellowships are also aimed at informing the Department of best practices from across the world that are specific or related to the VET sector.
Contact ISS Institute