This program collects data via surveys and shows RTO performance measures about student and employer choice.
Student satisfaction survey
The 2018 student satisfaction survey will contact about 200,000 students and ask about their satisfaction with:
- foundation skills improvement.
The survey also asks the likelihood that the student would recommend their training organisation to family or friends.
Employer satisfaction survey
Likewise, the 2018
employer satisfaction and skills survey will contact about 100,000 Victorian employers to ask about their skills needs and satisfaction with training.
Notes for RTOs
- From March to May 2018 we will be conducting the 2018
student satisfaction survey and invitations to participate will be sent to over 200,000 students. We will be asking them to tell us about their satisfaction with their RTO and the training they undertook in 2017.
- The satisfaction component of the employer satisfaction and skills survey will start in March 2018, while the skills component will start in July.
- There is no administration needed from RTOs.
The performance measures
The performance measures include several satisfaction and outcome measures collected through the
student satisfaction survey, including:
- VET students who achieved their main reason for training
- VET students who recommend the RTO
- VET students who are satisfied with training provided by an RTO
- VET students going onto further study at a higher level than their completed training
- VET students with an improved employment status after training
- VET students satisfied with generic skills and learning experiences
- VET students reporting a positive perception of teaching
- VET students reporting a positive perception of the assessment process
The performance measures also include several employer satisfaction measures collected through the employer survey, including:
- employers reporting improvement in the generic skills of apprentices and trainees
- employers of apprentices and trainees who are satisfied with training provided by an RTO
- employers of apprentices and trainees who recommend the RTO.
How these surveys are different
The surveys are designed to collect comparable data at the RTO level in a way that is not currently available through other surveys.
So far, this project has tested new approaches to data collection, including
- new questions
- rating scales
- logic based questionnaire approaches to ask different questions of different cohorts.
The surveys also employ a census approach, inviting all students and employers of apprentices and trainees, rather than a sample. This provides greater confidence in the results.
Samples of 2017 surveys
To view the questionnaire used for the 2017
Student Satisfaction Survey, see:
To view the questionnaire used for the 2017 Employer Satisfaction and Skills Survey see:
To ensure that feedback from respondents remains confidential, details will be dealt with in accordance with the
Public Records Act 1973 and the
Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (Vic.) For further information on privacy see:
The best way to provide feedback about your Victorian funded training is to respond during the survey administration time period either by completing the survey sent to you, or responding using any device that has internet access.
We will use the information that you provide to construct measures and findings that will be given as feedback to funded training organisations.
All students and employers are invited to be part of the surveys and this information is based on the reported data and training records received by the Department.
The Department receives data from training organisations that receive government funding or through trainee and apprentice information.
Complaints about the conduct of Victorian funded registered training organisations may be directed to the Department. For more information see:
Victorian Training Guarantee contract compliance complaints .
Not all accredited training delivered in Victoria is funded by the Department.
Consumer complaints about other training may be registered with the Australian Government’s
National Training Complaints Hotline by phone: 13 38 73 (Monday–Friday, 8am to 6pm) or by email:
Further updates about the project will be provided on this webpage as information becomes available.
RTOs will be sent updates by mail or through the Skills Victoria Training System (SVTS).
Any general queries about the overall project can be sent to:
Professional development opportunities for RTOs
The VET Development Centre (VDC) provides professional development sessions to all teaching and non-teaching staff in the VET sector.
For more information, see:
VET Development Centre
Victoria recognises that the training and TAFE system needs better measures to assess the performance of Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).
That’s why we’re committed to asking students and employers about how satisfied they are with their training experience, and letting organisations know where they are doing well and what they need to improve on.
Since inception in 2014, the student satisfaction survey and employer satisfaction and skills Survey have gone from a trial to business as usual, with results used in a range of ways to improve the quality of the training market.
The results from the surveys form a key component of the evidence base used to manage the government-subsidised training market, and provide insight into the quality and outcomes from training at the individual provider level.