TAFE institute boards are considered to be public entities under Part 5 of the
Public Administration Act 2004 (The Act) and are subject to the requirements of a public entity set out in Part 5 of the PAA.
The Act establishes the Victorian Public Sector Commission and creates the role of the Public Sector Standards Commissioner. The Act takes a comprehensive approach to supporting good public administration in Victoria by:
- providing a definition of the public sector that includes departments and administrative offices (public service bodies), 'special bodies' (e.g. the Ombudsman) and 'public entities' (e.g. public hospitals);
- outlining and enshrining the public sector values and employment principles
- defining the Victorian Public Service and the powers of public service body heads regarding the employment of employees and executives
- providing for good governance of newly created public entities and the whole public sector
- establishing provisions regarding the management of public sector employees in emergency situations.
A summary of relevant sections of the Act that are relevant to board directors are found in this information sheet:
Information Sheet – TAFE institute boards - The Public Administration Act 2004 (pdf - 229.55kb)
Information Sheet – TAFE institute boards - The Public Administration Act 2004 (doc - 175.5kb)
Public Administration Act