The ACFE Board is making available pre-accredited A-frames and full sets of teaching and learning resources to support Learn Local providers in delivering industry contextualised programs. Each program was developed by a Learn Local provider in partnership with a selected industry.
The Skills for Work and Study Pilot Programs are designed to support learners with low literacy and numeracy skills and interested in one of the seven selected industries. The project aligns with the ACFE Board's Literacy and Numeracy Initiative, the ACFE Board Strategy 2020-25, and the Ministerial Statement on the Future of Adult Community Education in Victoria 2020-25.
Additional delivery hours are available in 2021 to pilot the Skills for Work and Study Pilot Programs and test the new mode of delivery.
The Skills for Work and Study Pilot Programs objectives are to:
- Improve the literacy and numeracy skills of adult Victorians at the lowest levels of literacy and numeracy through pre-accredited programs that are contextualised to particular industries
- Strengthen pathway outcomes for learners by building the skills and capabilities necessary to participate in employment, entry level VET programs, or additional pre-accredited programs
- Make it easier for Learn Local providers to partner with industry to deliver pre-accredited training
- Increase sharing of high-quality resources across Learn Local providers.
Providers should aim to achieve the following outcomes:
- Offer centrally developed literacy and numeracy training programs designed by Learn Local providers for:
- learners wanting to directly enter work or further vocational training, and / or
- vulnerable workers who are at risk of unemployment due to transitions in the economy and who want to improve their literacy and numeracy skills.
- Conduct an initial assessment and placement interview using the Pre-accredited Initial Assessment Kit (PRIAK) or similar tool mapped to the ACSF for each learner. Providers are allowed to adapt the initial assessment tool to the selected industry.
- Take part in centrally organised moderation sessions to share practice and improve the curriculum over time.
There are seven programs available, ranging from 100 to 140 Student Contact Hours (SCH). Up to 20 SCH hours can be used to cover the costs of undertaking an individual initial assessment mapped to the ACSF, advice on post-training pathway opportunities, and reporting.
Each program was developed by a Learn Local provider in partnership with a selected industry. The Skills for Work and Study Pilot Programs are contextualised to a specific industry, as follows:
- Skills for Work and Study Factory Work (Warehousing and Distribution)
- Skills for Work and Study Community Services
- Skills for Work and Study Aged Care
- Skills for Work and Study Food Processing
- Skills for Work and Study Health Services
- Skills for Work and Study Building and Construction
- Skills for Work and Study Early Childhood Education.
Expression of interest
The Expression of Interest (EOI) for the 2021 Skills for Work and Study Pilot Programs is aligned with the EOI for 2021 Pre-accredited Training Delivery and LEAP. It opens Monday 14 September and closes Wednesday 14 October 2020. Learn Local providers can apply for more than one Skills for Work and Study Pilot Program. Early applications are appreciated.
The 2021 Guidelines and Delivery Plan Template for the Skills for Work and Study Pilot Programs are available below:
The Skills for Work and Study Programs EOI is open to providers:
- currently registered with the ACFE Board or covered under the Education and Training Reform ACT 2006
- with a current and satisfactory Business Governance Status Assessment (BGS) or a 2020 Skills First contract
- who are also applying for 2021 Pre-accredited Training Delivery.
For more information, please contact the staff at your regional office.
North Western Victoria Region: Kaye Callaghan - 4433 7582
North Eastern Victoria Region: Julie Hebert - 7022 1802
South Eastern Victoria Region: Robyn Downie - 8904 2580
South Western Victoria Region: David Harris - 5215 5203