Get financial help with your training fees

​Financial support is available to contribute towards the cost of your training.

This information is for students taking training courses. For information on university course fees, see: StudyAssist.

TAFE courses with free tuition

From 1 January 2019, some priority TAFE courses will be offered with free tuition. These courses lead to jobs that are in high demand.

For courses and eligibility, see the Free TAFE website.

Government subsidised training

Government subsidised training is where the Victorian Government contributes towards the cost of your training course.

You can get an indication of whether you qualify by using the checker on the Victorian Skills Gateway website.

Or for more information, see Get a training fee subsidy.

VET student loans

VET student loans provide financial help if you're studying. The loan program commenced on 1 January 2017, replacing the previous VET FEE‑HELP scheme. They are run by the Commonwealth Government.

To find out if you are eligible, see VET student loans.

Help for young people affected by child protection and youth justice orders

Young people affected by child protection and youth justice orders can have their tuition payed for by the government. This is known as the Skills First youth access initiative.

To be eligible, you must:

  • be under 22 years old on 1 January of the year you start studying
  • currently be on a child protection order or youth justice order, or have been on one in the past
  • study an accredited course at an approved provider. For exact courses see the guide book below.

See the guide book and the referral form below for further detail.

Speak to your case manager or call the TAFE and Training Line for further advice.

For background information on this program, see: Skills First youth access initiative

Help from Centrelink

If you are an adult in study, training or looking for work you may be able to get education and training payments. For more, see Students and trainees.

If you are a young person who is studying, undertaking training or an apprenticeship, looking for work, or sick, you may be able to get Youth Allowance. For more information, see Youth Allowance.

Help for Aboriginal and First Peoples

If you are an Aboriginal student or full-time apprentice, you may apply for:

  • ABSTUDY, a fortnightly payment to help with costs of living, study and accommodation. For more information, see ABSTUDY
  • fee concessions are available to Indigenous students for training at any level.
  • scholarships, see Victorian Aboriginal Education Association .

Fee concessions (discounts)

Concessions on tuition fees are available for:

To be eligible for concessions on a government-subsidised place, you must also be a:

  • Commonwealth Health Care Card holder or their dependant child or spouse
  • Pensioner Concession Card holder or their dependant child or spouse
  • Veteran’s Gold Card holder (but not their dependant).

Concessions are set at 20% of the provider's published standard tuition fee. For example, if a provider usually charged a non-concession student $500 for a particular course, a concession student in the same course would only pay $100.