Help for retrenched workers

​​​This information is for workers who are facing retrenchment after a company closure or restructure.

Help finding training

You may need to retrain in a new skill to find work. You can get help with this via:

  • Workers in Transition program -Jobs Victoria Workers in Transition provides information, tools and resources to help both business and workers through retrenchment processes and into new opportunities.
  • Skill and Jobs Centres - Get in-person help with training options and applying for new jobs.

You can also find more information on available training via Find a course or training provider

Help looking for work

Retrenched workers have immediate access to services from the Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Job Serves Australia:

If you are looking at starting a new business, you can also access support from:

Financial help

If you lose your job through retrenchment, some financial assistance may be available to you through the Commonwealth Department of Human Services. Your first step should be to register with them as soon as possible.

Make sure you obtain a Certificate of Separation from your last employer. The Commonwealth Department of Human Services needs this document to assess your eligibility for payment.

To check your eligibility and register:

If your previous employer went bankrupt, you can also get help from the General Employee Entitlements and Redundancy Scheme.

Personal help

Uncertainty, financial insecurity and other pressures can be emotionally stressful.

If you are having difficulties with anxiety, depression, family arguments, drug and alcohol use or other personal issues, it is a good idea to talk to someone about these problems. These services can provide support: