Families can apply for special transport consideration or appeal a transport decision. This must be done via their child's school.
The school should assist the family to complete an application and make sure supporting documentation is included. For example, a doctor or welfare agency report.
Transport special case consideration application form (docx - 62.63kb)
Transport special case consideration information sheet (doc - 218.5kb)
Government schools should forward applications to their regional office for endorsement.
Applications from government and non-government schools must also be emailed to
If the application falls within the Department's transport policies, the application will be considered.
In most cases a decision is made within 15 working days. An application may be referred to the special case consideration panel.
Transport special case consideration panel
More complex and challenging cases, or cases that fall outside the Department's policies, are referred to this panel.
The panel meets monthly during term 1 and once per term for the rest of the year. The panel is made up of senior staff from the Department and Public Transport Victoria.
The panel considers transport issues that may not be addressed by the Department’s policies documents or which affect a child’s ability to travel to school.
The panel does not consider applications relating to ineligibility for transport assistance, financial hardship or the schooling and work arrangements of the siblings and parents of the student.
Schools will be informed of the panel’s decision by letter approximately three weeks after the panel meets. Schools are responsible for informing families of the decision.
Students will not be granted access to transport support until the panel meets and considers their application.
2020 panel dates
- Tuesday 14 January - applications close on Friday 20 December 2019
- Tuesday 11 February - applications close on Friday 17 January 2020
- Tuesday 17 March - applications close on Friday 21 February 2020
- Tuesday 12 May - applications close on Friday 17 April 2020
- Tuesday 14 July - applications close on Friday 19 June 2020
- Tuesday 15 September - applications close on Friday 21 August 2020
- Tuesday 10 November - appliations close on Wednesday 14 October 2020.