Scientific procedures premises licence

Before a school uses animals for teaching, it needs to be covered by a Scientific Procedures Premises Licence (SPPL).

The Victorian Schools Animal Ethics Committee assists Victorian schools comply with relevant legislation in the responsible care for animals used in teaching. VSAEC is available to government, Catholic and independent schools.

Government schools

Government schools do not need to apply for a licence. They are already covered under the Department's licence.

Catholic and independent schools

Catholic and Independent schools need to apply for a licence before they can use animals for teaching. The licence is free.

Application forms are available from the Department of Environment and Primary Industries

Once an SPPL has been obtained schools must then send a copy of their licence to to be registered to use the approval and reporting system.

After confirmation schools can access the system using their Edumail or Eduweb account details.