Staffing a language program

​​A language program must be planned and delivered by a teacher qualified in the language being taught.

Languages teaching qualifications

The Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) website sets out the qualifications that teachers of specialist subject areas such as languages are expected to hold. These consist of two elements – specialist subject knowledge and teaching methodology.

In addition to general teaching qualifications, the recommended qualifications for teaching languages in Victorian government schools are:

  • a three-year major in the language, or a Statement of Equivalence (for language proficiency at Third Year exit level) from a Victorian university which teaches the language
  • an approved languages methodology course (including both theory and practicum)

VIT registration requirements

All teachers in Victoria must be registered with VIT. There are different categories of registration: full registration, provisional registration, early childhood teacher and non-practising teacher.

  • Victorian Institute of Teaching
  • Information about employment in Victorian government schools including a link to the online job search and application tool, Recruitment Online, is available at Careers
  • Links provided by the Modern Language Teachers' Association of Victoria about employment as a Languages teacher, see: Employment links

Statement of Equivalence

Procedures have been developed by the Department in conjunction with Victorian universities to enable universities to assess the oral and written language proficiency of potential teachers, and their understanding of the relevant society, culture and literature. The criteria for judgement are equivalent to those used for assessing students exiting third year tertiary level. For more information, see:

The assessment is only relevant to persons interested in becoming languages teachers; it is not an alternative means of gaining eligibility for academic awards or teaching qualifications. The assessment does not relate to the language method and practicum requirement.

Prospective candidates need to contact the university of their choice to arrange an assessment. Any costs involved will be the responsibility of the candidate. Upon the completion of the assessment, the university will provide the applicant with the results. The applicant should retain the assessment record for use in providing evidence of language proficiency for registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT), to prospective employers, or for entry to relevant courses.

For a list of Victorian universities, see:

Further options for identifying languages teachers

If a fully qualified teacher is not immediately available, government school principals should explore the range of incentives and scholarships the Department offers. These scholarships are designed to attract final year teaching students and recent graduates to join the Victorian teaching service and teach in government schools.

In addition, Principals should be aware that Languages is a designated 'Hard to staff' subject area, which provides additional incentive payments under the Teaching Scholarship Scheme. 

Languages Teacher Register

The Language Teacher Register assists schools find qualified language teachers to fill vacant language teaching positions in government schools. The register is open to graduating, graduate and currently employed language teachers who are seeking a language teaching position in a government primary or secondary school. Eligible language teachers can register using the 'SurveyMonkey' online form. 

A relevant language-specific teacher association or Languages Regional Project Officer may be able to help to connect schools with qualified languages teachers who are looking for employment or who live in the local area. Contact details are available on the Professional learning page.

The Victorian School of Languages or Community Languages Australia may be able to assist with identifying a qualified languages teacher or a teacher who can get permission to teach from VIT whilst they are upgrading their qualifications to get full VIT registration.

For more information, see: