There are resources available for teachers and school leaders on the new English as an Additional Language (EAL) curriculum.
We’re realigning and updating existing resources so that they continue to support the new curriculum.
Understanding the new EAL curriculum
Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL Reporting Tool – supports the reporting of EAL students' progress who have not yet met the achievement standards of the Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL.
EAL Developmental Continuum P-10 – gives evidence-based indicators of progress to support the reporting of EAL students' progress who have not yet met the achievement standards of the EAL companion to AusVELS. The continuum is still applicable in 2020 for schools who choose to stay with the existing EAL curriculum.
Annotated units of work – units across a range of subject areas and year levels. They show assessment tasks with formative feedback, embedded within a teaching/learning cycle.
EAL Effective Practice e-book – videos and discussion prompts highlighting one Victorian school’s implementation of an explicit pedagogy for the teaching of disciplinary literacy.
Languages and Multicultural Education Resource Centre – digital and physical resources to support EAL teaching and learning.
Literacy Teaching Toolkit – advice and teaching practices that improve outcomes in speaking and listening, reading and viewing, and writing. The Secondary Literacy Toolkit includes resources on disciplinary literacy. The Primary Literacy Toolkit has EAL-specific practice advice. We’ll add links to the Victorian Curriculum F-10 by March 2020.
VicTESOL Teaching and Learning Cycle – examples of a classroom-based approach to scaffold and explicitly teach language throughout a unit of work.
Resources being developed and when they’re available
We’re updating the following online teacher resources:
- No English, Don’t Panic
- No English 2, Questions and Answers
- Beginning EAL – Primary
- Beginning EAL – Secondary
- Word study for new arrivals
- First language assessment materials
- Language games for EAL students.
- TEAL resource centre annotated work samples aligned to Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL.
- EAL Developmental Continuum annotated work samples aligned to Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL.
- RVEAL aligned to Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL.
- Determining EAL student levels and pathways – supports teachers to identify EAL students’ entry and transitions points in relation to the Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL.
- Resource for supporting EAL learners – this resource will provide practical support for teachers planning programs and assessing student progress against the Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL.
- Planning and implementing effective EAL programs – resources to support school leaders and teachers in planning and delivering effective practice EAL programs.
- Content and language integrated learning with the Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL – resources to support teachers across the curriculum use the Victorian Curriculum F-10 EAL. This will inform the integration of language teaching and learning with the teaching and learning of content in classrooms.
Terms 2, 3 and 4 2020
- EAL curriculum Webex forums – for teachers and school leaders to share experiences and questions about implementing the curriculum.