The attitudes to school survey gathers data to support student wellbeing, engagement, school improvement and planning in schools.
The survey is conducted in term 2 with students from Years 4 to 12 attending Victorian government schools.
The survey captures students’ attitudes and experiences at school and is aligned with the Department’s Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO). The survey measures are based on the best available evidence about what influences student outcomes.
The 2019 survey will be conducted online for all students in years 4 to 12 from 29 April to 14 June 2019.
The survey is administered from a secure online survey portal to provide the following benefits to schools and students:
- the survey includes 3 levels of differentiation on selected survey items for years 4 to 6, 7 to 9, and 10 to 12, made possible by the online administration
- schools are able to access their own survey results from the portal shortening the turn-around time on survey results
- the six week survey period provides flexibility for schools to schedule the survey to fit their own timetables and computer resources.
ORIMA Research Pty Ltd has been contracted by the Department to administer the online collection of the Attitudes to School Survey with all schools in 2019.
- Schools will be sent a link to the secure survey portal from ORIMA Research at the start of
- The link will provide access to a secure administration site for your school on the survey portal.
- Schools will be required to nominate an administrator to interact with the survey portal on behalf of the school.
- The administrator's role is to download the student log-in details for your school from the portal.
- Administrators will be supported through a telephone and email helpline, as well as detailed step by step guides.
- A unique survey log-in will be generated for each student at your school for years 4 to 12.
- The school survey administrator will download the student log-in list from the secure portal and provide teachers with the log-in details for their students and the link to the secure portal.
- Schools timetable survey completion periods for each class.
Survey completion at schools
- The supervising teacher will provide the class with the survey link.
- The supervising teacher will give each student their survey log-in.
- Students log-in to the secure site and complete the survey online.
Schools will access their 2019 survey results from the secure survey portal from 28 June 2019.
ORIMA Research will provide support for schools throughout the survey period from the start of May until the end of June through a telephone helpline and an email support option. Details will be provided to schools at the start of term 2.
Communication to parents and students
Participation should be based on agreement at the local level. Principals should ensure that appropriate consultation occurs with the school community prior to participating in the Attitudes to School Survey. It is important to notify parents of the Attitudes to School Survey prior to commencing the survey.
Sample text for parent and/or the school newsletter is available below:
If you have queries please email: