Each school’s Workers’ Compensation budget allocation is determined by applying an averaged claim cost rate for each school type to its remuneration.
The amount charged against a school’s Workers’ Compensation budget allocation is based on the actual incurred costs of claims that have been lodged at the school during the 2019/2020 Workers’ Compensation premium calculation period from 01 January 2016 to 30 June 2018..
If the total cost of these claims is greater than a school’s Workers’ Compensation budget allocation, the school is required to pay all or part of the difference, capped at 0.5% of its remuneration up to a maximum of $25,000.
Savings capped at 0.5% of remuneration - up to a maximum of $25,000 - accrue to those schools with claims costs less than their Workers’ Compensation budget allocations. Full 2020 Workers’ Compensation budget allocations, charge out amounts and end of year balance details are in the
Workers’ Compensation Summary Statement.
Exempt Category Claims
The following categories of claims are eligible for exemption from the calculation of a school’s 2020 SRP Workers’ Compensation cost:
- Workers’ Compensation claims that have injury dates prior to 1 July 2000.
- Workers’ Compensation claims from staff who work across a number of schools.
- Workers’ Compensation claims accepted in error by the Department’s WorkSafe agent, Gallagher Bassett Services Pty Ltd.
- Workers’ Compensation claims arising from participation in the Teacher Games.
Consideration will also be given to exempting schools from the costs of claims:
- From staff who have been the subject of compassionate transfer because of health reasons.
- From principals and other staff whose claims are associated with unsatisfactory performance or discipline proceedings.
School principals who have claims in these categories lodged over the period from 01 January 2016 to 30 June 2018 should notify the Workers’ Compensation Unit (WCU) by emailing the Workers’ Compensation Claims Advisory Service by Friday 14 December 2019.
Provide claim/s details and a request that the school's Workers’ Compensation cost be reviewed.
The WCU will advise schools of the results of these reviews.