Schools are encouraged to support students and their parent/carer(s) to exercise a level of choice and control with their NDIS supports at school where it is safe and practical to do so. For example, a family may request that an NDIS funded therapist:
- observes their child in the classroom or in the school environment
- attends a student support group meeting, to monitor and tailor the support they provide to their child
- delivers their child’s therapy at school.
These requests may require careful consideration. Where possible, requests should be approved unless they are unfeasible for practical, legal or educational reasons. Ultimately, the decision rests with the school principal.
Process for requests
Principals should follow these steps:
Gather information about the therapy to be provided at school and the reasons for the request. Ask the therapist and parent to complete a Request Form and Parent Consent Form.
Consider all relevant factors and make a decision whether the therapy should be provided on school grounds.
Key considerations include:
- the school’s ability to fulfil its duty of care to all students and meet Child Safe Standards
- the school’s responsibilities under the
Reportable Conduct Scheme
- the purpose of the request - for example, whether the proposed therapy is to provide benefits that would normally be accessed outside of school
- the relative benefits of the therapy when compared to any anticipated disruption to student learning or the needs of other students and other programs at the school
- the flexibility of the student’s learning program
- the school’s specific circumstances; including the location and suitability of an area at school where the therapy could occur, the model and make-up of classroom teaching arrangements
- the individual circumstances of the student and their family and social circumstances
- if the school council supports allowing an NDIS funded therapist on school grounds.
Once a decision has been made principals must send a letter to parents outlining the reasons for their decision to accept or decline the request.
If the request is approved, principals must:
- ensure the therapist signs a Licence Agreement to use school premises and enters into an Information Sharing Agreement to set out how and when they will share information with the school about the student. These documents are available in the Guidelines for Principals and Schools.
- inform school-based therapists and student support services about the services being delivered by the NDIS funded therapist. This is to ensure services are coordinated.
For general information on NDIS funded therapy in schools, see:
For specific NDIS funded therapy requests principals should contact their Senior Education Improvement Leader.
For advice about duty of care, anti-discrimination obligations and licensing agreements, email
For information about the NDIS see
All other enquiries may be directed to our NDIS Reform Branch,