Schools can apply for assistance with modifications to infrastructure and equipment, which will improve access for students, staff or visitors with injuries or disability. This includes modifications to:
- meet the needs of new students at a school
- meet the needs resulting from deterioration of a student’s condition
- expand existing facilities to cater for the curriculum requirements of a student
- install hearing augmentation systems.
Examples of modifications are:
- ramps and handrails
- toilet and shower modifications
- modifications for vision or hearing impairments
- work to improve access for individual students.
Funding is limited and applications must meet specific criteria. For more information see the Accessible Buildings Program Policy.
This program is not a reimbursement program and is not intended to subsidise other works. It is also not intended to provide maintenance funding for ‘wear and tear’ of existing compliant facilities and/or works.
Applications for works that require completion prior to term 1 are to be submitted to regional offices by the second week of August of the preceding year. Other applications may be submitted anytime throughout the year. Priority will be provided in situations where the:
- student with disabilities is a new enrolment
- school is unable to provide sufficient access to school facilities essential to the curriculum or toileting needs of the student.
Application forms and information on supporting documentation are available on the EduGate site. You will need the school edumail account for access.
Schools can contact their Regional Provision and Planning Manager for advice and support with applications.
Notification of outcomes
Schools can track the progress of their application online.
Once a project has been approved there will be different steps for completion, depending on the complexity of your project. Some projects will require contractors to attend site to complete a Report & Estimate, prior to the final approval for works, while other projects can be paid as a grant.
From time to time unanticipated changes may need to be made to building works in order to deliver the accessibility requirements at each school. Negotiating any changes is to be done by the Department. Schools are not to negotiate directly with contractors about changes to the scope of works.