The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.
Purpose of this policy
To ensure schools meet safety and legal requirements when using private vehicles for official business.
- not direct staff members to transport other staff, students, or equipment
- ensure private vehicles used meet requirements for insurance and registration
- avoid use of private vehicles (including volunteer workers, parents etc) whenever possible
- ensure the following requirements apply when use of private vehicles is unavoidable.
Approval, safety and legal requirements
This table describes what a principal or principal’s delegate must do when a staff member has volunteered the use of their private vehicle for any official business which may include transporting students.
||Principal or principal’s delegate must|
ensure the application form to use a private vehicle on official duty is completed, see: Reimbursement of expenses guide
view the current and valid:
- registration certificate for the vehicle
- driver’s licence of the driver.
ensure compliance with child seat belt/restraint laws see:
sight the vehicle’s comprehensive insurance policy that includes:
- liability at law by way of damages no less than $20 million
- an indemnity to the employer.
approve the vehicle for use on duty by signing the approval form.
provide written authority to the person in the case that they are approved to receive reimbursement for using their private vehicle which specifies the conditions under which that the vehicle may be used.
Further requirements if transporting students
When transporting a small number of students to a school activity in a private vehicle is unavoidable the principal must ensure that:
- if the driver is a staff member they are a member of the supervising staff
- if the driver is not a staff member:
- that Stages 2 and 3 of the above process are adhered to
- ensure that the volunteer checks policy is applied see: Volunteer Checks
- parents/guardians are advised that their child will be transported in a private vehicle and by whom
- the school keeps accurate records of the students travelling in each vehicle, in case of an accident occurring.