Purpose of this policy
To ensure that students are adequately prepared for excursions.
Schools must ensure that:
- students are adequately prepared for excursions
- the disciplinary measures for students on excursions are appropriate and consistent with the Student Engagement and Inclusion Guidance and the school’s student engagement policies.
- Reasonable adjustments are made for students with disabilities, including students with medical or health conditions that may have an impact on the student's ability to meet expected standards of behaviour.
See: Department resources
In preparation for excursions, schools should advise:
- students of:
- the organisational arrangements
- relevant safety arrangements or emergency procedures
- students and parents or carers:
- of expected standards of behaviour
- that in extreme cases students may be sent home from an excursion at the cost of the parents.
For excursions requiring school council approval see: Excursion support - student preparation within
Returning a student home
In extreme cases the excursion staff, following consultation with and the approval of the school principal, may decide to return a student to their home from an excursion. Excursion staff should:
- advise the student’s parent or carer of the:
- circumstance associated with the decision to send the student home
- time and location for the parent or carer to collect their child from the excursion or the anticipated time that the student will arrive home.
- consider the age and maturity of the student when making travelling arrangements.