Purpose of this policy
To ensure that students are adequately prepared for excursions.
Schools must ensure that:
- students are adequately prepared for excursions
- the disciplinary measures for students on excursions are appropriate and consistent with the Student Engagement and Inclusion Guidance and the school’s student engagement policy.
See: Department resources
In preparation for excursions, schools should advise:
- students of:
- the organisational arrangements
- relevant safety arrangements or emergency procedures
- students and parents or carers:
- of expected standards of behaviour
- that in extreme cases students may be sent home from an excursion at the cost of the parents.
For excursions requiring school council approval see: Excursion support - student preparation within
Returning a student home
In extreme cases the excursion staff, following consultation with and the approval of the school principal, may decide to return a student to their home from an excursion. Excursion staff should:
- advise the student’s parent or carer of the:
- circumstance associated with the decision to send the student home
- time when the parent or carer may collect their child from the excursion or the anticipated time that the student will arrive home.
- consider the age and maturity of the student when making travelling arrangements.