Purpose of this policy
To ensure that staff have up-to-date medical information about students participating in excursions.
A confidential medical information form:
- must be completed by parents or carers before each excursion with an overnight component (including camps, interstate, overseas) travel via water, or air, or for adventure activities.
- provides parents or carers with the opportunity to vary any information previously given to the school.
- ensure that the teacher-in-charge takes the medical information forms on the excursion
- ensure these forms are available to other excursion staff in emergency situations
- keep copies of the forms at the school.
Note: Students should not be denied attendance at any excursion because a parent/guardian refuses permission for a blood transfusion.
Information: Transfusions or other courses of medical treatment are matters for legally qualified medical practitioners. Teachers cannot be held liable for medical treatment given against the wishes of a parent or carer.
Recommended confidential medical information form
Schools should use the recommended confidential medical information form see: Department resources
Schools may require additional medical information depending on the nature of the activities undertaken.