The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.
Purpose of this policy
To ensure that staff have up-to-date medical information about students participating in excursions.
A confidential medical information form:
- must be completed by parents or carers before each excursion with an overnight component (including camps, interstate, overseas) travel via water, or air, or for adventure activities.
- provides parents or carers with the opportunity to vary any information previously given to the school.
- ensure that the teacher-in-charge takes the medical information forms on the excursion
- ensure these forms are available to other excursion staff in emergency situations
- keep copies of the forms at the school.
Note: Students should not be denied attendance at any excursion because a parent/guardian refuses permission for a blood transfusion.
Information: Transfusions or other courses of medical treatment are matters for legally qualified medical practitioners. Teachers cannot be held liable for medical treatment given against the wishes of a parent or carer.
Recommended confidential medical information form
Schools should use the recommended confidential medical information form see: Department resources
Schools may require additional medical information depending on the nature of the activities undertaken.