Conveyance Allowance

The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.

Purpose of this policy

To ensure that schools assist parents/carers of eligible students in accessing the conveyance allowance for student travel expenses.


In some locations in rural and regional Victoria, students are unable to access free school buses and schools must assist eligible parents/carers to access the conveyance allowance to help with the costs of student travel to and from school. 

Depending on how a student travels to school, an eligible student may be granted a conveyance allowance based on:

  • the least expensive public transport fares, and/or
  • a distance based allowance when travel is by private car and/or private bus.

Schools administer applications for the conveyance allowance and provide:

  • application forms
  • information about eligibility and allowance rates
  • submit claims to the Department each term using the online Student Conveyance Allowance System (SCAS)
  • disburse monies received to parents/carers.


Students may be eligible for a conveyance allowance when they:

  • attend their closest government or appropriate non-government school/campus located outside the metropolitan conveyance boundary.
  • reside 4.8km or more from that school/campus attended.
  • attend specialist schools anywhere in Victoria (government* and non-government students). *Government students must reside within the Designated Transport Area (DTA) for the government specialist school attended.
  • attend their nearest recognised specialist settings anywhere in Victoria, including:
    • deaf facilities
    • English language schools/centres
    • re-engagement centres
    • secondary teaching units.  

Related policies

Related legislation

  • Education and Training Reform Regulations 2007
  • Working with Children Act 2005

Department resources

For more information see: