Purpose of this policy
To ensure schools only detain students as part of a staged approach, in accordance with the Department's Student Engagement Policy Guidelines.
- consider local circumstances when determining what a reasonable time and place for detention entails
- ensure any special conditions relating to the imposition of detention are specified in the school's Student Engagement Policy.
Schools must ensure that:
- no more than half the time allocated for any recess is used for detention
- students undertake detention at a reasonable time and place
- where students are detained after school to complete school work, or to undertake additional or new work or duties:
- parents are informed at least the day before the detention
- the time of detention should not exceed forty-five minutes
- alternative measures are negotiated with parents whose family circumstances are such that the students completion of after-school work would create undue hardship (e.g. where students regularly supervise younger siblings in the absence of parents, or where limited travel alternatives for students are available).
Education and Training Reform Act 2006
Student Engagement - for information on the student engagement policy, mentoring, support for disengaged students, and creating safe and respectful communities.