Purpose of this policy
To ensure school councils enter into and manage school uniform supply arrangements appropriately.
- are responsible for deciding on arrangements for the supply of school uniform items
- must comply with written agreements with clothing suppliers and may be subject to legal proceedings if a dispute arises between the parties
- must not make any misrepresentations while making agreements with suppliers (for example, misrepresenting the number of students at the school).
School councils should consider:
- quality of items
- quality control of the supplier
- reliability, continuity and lead time of supply
- ability of manufacturers/suppliers to meet required delivery deadlines
- selecting Australian made items or using local businesses
- selecting manufacturers/suppliers that can provide evidence that they meet ethical manufacturing standards (see:FairWear)
- sustainable production of items
- how and where parents or carers can purchase items
- cleaning requirements and costs
- returns policy for faulty stock
- re-use or recycling of items.
Schools should formalise arrangements with their chosen supplier by using one of the Department's approved agreement templates. It is important to have a written agreement as this enables the school council to enforce the terms of its agreement and ensures that both parties are clear about their rights and obligations.
The Department has three agreement templates relating to school uniforms. These are:
- School Council Licence – School Uniform Business
- School Council Agreement for the Appointment of School Uniform Supplier (school uniforms to be supplied at Supplier’s retail premises)
- School Council Agreement for the purchase of school uniforms (for on-sale by the School Council)
This table explains when each template should be used.
School Council Licence – School Uniform Business
- license an area of the school to a supplier to sell the uniform from a designated area on the school premises
School Council Agreement for the Appointment of School Uniform Supplier (school uniforms to be supplied at Supplier’s retail premises)
- appoint a supplier to sell the school uniform from the supplier’s retail premises
School Council Agreement for the purchase of school uniforms (for on-sale by the School Council)
- purchase school uniforms from a supplier and then on-sell the school uniform directly to students and their families
The templates are available from the Legal Division's website, see: Legal Division - Purchasing School Uniforms (staff access only)
For more information, see: