Purpose of this policy
To ensure that schools test their emergency procedures.
The school’s emergency management plan must contain emergency testing procedures.
Schools should regularly rehearse and exercise these procedures, quarterly per annum, completing a partial or full test under a variety of emergency scenarios. Schools should consider:
- notification and reporting procedures
- roles and responsibilities of nominated personnel
- building fire response procedures
- offsite and onsite evacuation
- shelter in place/lock down/ lockout alternatives
- communications within the school and to the school community
- emergency services liaison.
Fire services and police can assist in training exercises and trial evacuations by acting as observers as well as assisting in the review of school emergency procedures.
Emergency Management Planning
Online Emergency Management Plan (EMP) for government schools and EMP templates for early childhood services and non-government schools