Purpose of this policy
To inform schools how to name or rename a campus.
Campus names should reflect their geographic location to minimise confusion between campuses. Schools may choose to name their campuses using:
- street names
- suburb names
- names that are of significance to the school community.
In the circumstance where a school wants to change a campus name or names, but the official school name is not changing, the school must contact the School Operations and Governance Unit (SOGU) in the first instance to discuss campus naming requirements. The process following this is that:
- the school discusses the naming option that meets the requirements as advised by SOGU, and then proposes the campus name change/s
- the principal seeks written endorsement from the Regional Director for the proposed name change/s
- the Regional Director forwards the campus name change request along with their endorsement to SOGU by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final approval for campus names is granted by the Minister for Education.
On receipt of the Minister's approval SOGU will notify the school, the Registrar of Geographic Names and the Data Collection and Services Branch.
The Data Collection and Services Branch, Performance and Evaluation Division:
- updates the Entity Register Search (ERS)
- notifies key personnel by email.
Related legislation and guidelines