Purpose of this policy
To ensure schools comply with site and environmental safety requirements.
The principal acts as the school’s site manager and is responsible for:
- occupational health and safety (OH&S) affecting buildings, plant, classroom furniture and equipment
- general safety and environmental management including
- soil and environmental contamination
- building ventilation
- rainwater tanks
- sanitation and waste collection
- swimming pools
- tree maintenance
- fire protection prevention
- bushfire preparedness
- general safety practices on site during a construction project.
Note: Schools must only incorporate approved playground equipment (and must not use seesaws, swings, maypoles, merry-go-rounds, roundabouts and flying foxes) see:
Funding support: essential services and contracts
The Department provides funding for:
- essential services
- building services maintenance (annual contracts).
This support facilitates:
- the inspection and servicing of:
- heating plant
- specialised fire equipment
- emergency and exit lighting
- EPA-licensed sewerage treatment
- water treatment and other sanitary needs.
School Maintenance System
Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004