Purpose of the policy
To ensure school website addresses are created, registered and managed appropriately.
A domain name is an internet address where a website is located i.e. school websites are accessed via their URL/Domain name. Domain names are commonly referred to as a URL.
The Department allocates funding for one domain name for each government school. All government school domain names must be created and registered through Education Services Australia (ESA) and comply with their terms and conditions. School domain names are required to comply with specific naming conventions such as www.schoolname.vic.edu.au
Note: ESA is the Australian authority for the registration of all educational domain names. ESA can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (03) 9207 9600.
Additional domain names
Schools may obtain additional or alternative domain names at their own cost.
For all additional domain names school must:
- ensure there is a strong rationale for the additional domain name and appropriate management processes in place.
- ensure that contact details are maintained and that renewal reminders are sent to an email address that will be regularly monitored e.g. an administration mailbox rather than a personal account.
- notify Netscape (Internet Service Provider for all government schools) and their Technical Support to Schools Program (TSSP) technician of the creation of new, or changes to existing domain names.
Creating, maintaining and closing domain names
This table details the processes of creating, maintaining and closing domain names.
|Creation and registration of a domain name
When applying for the initial Department provided domain name schools must contact the .edu.au Domains Department at ESA providing the following details:
- the domain name the school wants to register
- school details (name, postal address and ABN)
- point of contact at the school (name, email address and phone number).
If applying for an additional domain name:
- visit www.domainname.edu.au and
- click the “Register a .edu.au domain” tab and follow the prompts for the online application process, see: domainame.edu.au
To update any registration details for school domain names, such as contact information or server details:
- visit www.domainame.edu.au and
- click the “Manage your edu.au domain” tab and follow the process, see: domainame.edu.au
To request the school’s domain management login details for the Department provided domain name, contact the .edu.au Domains Department at ESA for the username and password.
For any additional domain name registrations the school holds use the following link to have the system send the school a password reset email, see: domainname.edu.au – Forgotten Password
Note: Domain management login details can only be sent to the email address of the point of contact or registrant contact against the domain. If these details are no longer current contact the .edu.au Domains Department at ESA to arrange alternate verification.
Schools can also view the current contact email address against the school's domain on the ausregistry website, see: Whois Domain
|Closing domain names
Should a school no longer require a domain name it is the schools responsibility to:
Important: The continued existence of redundant domain names may result in unnecessary costs to the Department and can attract inappropriate material such as SPAM, which appears to be associated with the school.