Supervision of Eating and Drinking

The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.

Purpose of this policy

To ensure schools offer the appropriate level of support for students who need supervision when eating or drinking for their safety and wellbeing at school.

Prerequisite policy


Schools must develop a Student Health Support Plan for students who require supervision when eating and drinking to ensure their safety.

Requirement for supervision

Students may need supervision with eating and drinking when they:

  • have difficulty with oral intake of food and drink and need assistance with the procedure
  • are not able to manage the volume of intake necessary for their health and wellbeing
  • have complex medical needs such as:
    • taking food or fluid via a tube through their nose or directly into their stomach (via nasal or gastric tube feeding)
    • risk of aspiration (inhaling food or fluid into the lung) and require suctioning.

Note: Students with complex medical needs may be referred to the Schoolcare Program.


For students who need supervision eating and drinking schools should:

  • request the student’s medical/health practitioner, such as a speech pathologist, completes a Personal Care Medical Advice Form – Oral Eating and Drinking (see: Department resources)
  • develop a Student Health Support Plan to address routine and special events, such as parties.

Related policies

Department resources