Purpose of this policy
To ensure fireworks displays at schools are managed safely.
Schools must engage a licensed pyrotechnician if they wish to use fireworks.
Role of the pyrotechnician
The pyrotechnician in charge of a fireworks display must ensure that:
- fire protection and suitable means of fire fighting are provided
- spectators are controlled, by barriers if necessary, and kept at a safe distance from the fireworks discharge point
- security is provided against unauthorised access to the discharge point or storage area
- a search of the display site for unfired fireworks is conducted at the end of the display.
- Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017
For more information, see: Chemical Management: