Purpose of this policy
To ensure all government schools have sufficient construction insurance.
- The Department has insurance for:
- principal controlled construction risks
- minor/urgent maintenance work.
- School councils must ensure that builders do not quote or charge the costs of insurance for any contract let for the construction of works.
Note: Works that are totally or partially funded by sources, other then the Department, must be reported to the Family Payments & Insurance Unit to be covered by the Department’s Construction risks policy.
- indemnifies all insured parties for:
- direct costs incurred in rectifying and/or replacing the contract works following physical loss or damage during the construction period
- the defects liability (maintenance) period.
- legal liability arising out of contracts covered by the physical damage section
- covers all parties:
- involved in the construction process
- who have a financial interest including the school council, principal and project manager
- delivering materials while on site.
For more information, including Certificates of Currency, and Insurance Arrangements Guidelines for Schools, see: Insurance - VMIA Insurance documents - schools and corporate