Taxation Compliance

Purpose of this policy

To ensure that schools understand the taxation implications of financial activity.


This table identifies the main taxes that may be applicable.

Type of Tax Application
Goods and Services Tax (GST)

All Government schools are required to:

  • register for GST
  • have an ABN number
  • independently lodge BAS returns.
Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT)

Tax - FBT Tracker enables schools to record their FBT liabilities.

Note: The $300 minor and infrequent benefits rules do not apply to government schools for the provision of entertainment.

Each principal must lodge an FBT declaration by 15th April each year.

Pay As You Go (PAYG)

HRWeb provides access to human resources policies, practices, information and support services.

Payroll Tax School councils have been exempt from payroll tax since 1 July 2004.
Tax Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) Funds

Schools can apply to the ATO to set up Tax Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) Building Funds or Library that allow income tax deductions for donations.

Schools can contact the Department’s Tax and Compliance Unit for advice at

Department resources

  • For more information see: Tax 

Related legislation

  • Ministerial Direction 10.14 of the Financial Management Act 1994