Purpose of policy
To ensure all government schools have sufficient insurance for equipment.
The School Equipment Coverage Scheme (SECS) applies to all government schools and to all school-owned equipment, including library books and teaching aids.
- covers school-owned equipment for loss or damage caused by ,fire, burglary, storm or vandalism
- includes special risk cover for unforeseeable disasters
- applies in term time or during vacations, to items approved for use by the principal:
- at the school or outside the school grounds anywhere in Australia
- during the conduct of educational activities or for other educational purposes.
Note: Keep correct records to justify any future claims.
Important: To be covered, schools must maintain records compliant with Asset Recording and Control (see:
Not covered by this scheme:
- school-owned equipment that is accidentally lost, damaged or misused
- items stolen without visible forced entry
- personal items of students or staff
- consumable items (including canteen stock)
- items other than books purchased for less than $10
- Items leased, rented or lent to the school
- items on hire purchase,
Cover under the scheme is conditional upon schools showing reasonable care to safeguard school equipment. The school council:
- is responsible for the security of school facilities and equipment
- should develop security guidelines and implement physical security measures such as:
- lockable storerooms
- security cables and similar devices
- protective window grilles
- effective management of the school’s intruder detection system.
For more information:
- on insurance (including Insurance Arrangements Guidelines for Schools), see:
Guidelines and Forms or
- contact the Victorian School Building Authority.