School Equipment Coverage Scheme

The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.

Purpose of policy

To ensure all government schools have sufficient insurance for equipment.


The School Equipment Coverage Scheme (SECS) applies to all government schools and to all school-owned equipment, including library books and teaching aids.

Policy coverage

The scheme:

  • covers school-owned equipment for loss or damage caused by ,fire, burglary, storm or vandalism
  • includes special risk cover for unforeseeable disasters
  • applies in term time or during vacations, to items approved for use by the principal:
    • at the school or outside the school grounds anywhere in Australia
    • during the conduct of educational activities or for other educational purposes.

Note: Keep correct records to justify any future claims.

Important: To be covered, schools must maintain records compliant with Asset Recording and Control (see: Related policies).


Not covered by this scheme:

  • school-owned equipment that is accidentally lost, damaged or misused
  • items stolen without visible forced entry
  • personal items of students or staff
  • buildings
  • fixtures
  • fittings
  • furniture
  • consumable items (including canteen stock)
  • cash
  • items other than books purchased for less than $10
  • Items leased, rented or lent to the school
  • items on hire purchase, 

Reasonable care

Cover under the scheme is conditional upon schools showing reasonable care to safeguard school equipment. The school council:

  • is responsible for the security of school facilities and equipment
  • should develop security guidelines and implement physical security measures such as:
    • lockable storerooms
    • security cables and similar devices
    • protective window grilles
    • effective management of the school’s intruder detection system.

Related policies

Department resources

For more information:

  • on insurance (including Insurance Arrangements Guidelines for Schools), see: Guidelines and Forms or 
  • contact the Victorian School Building Authority.