The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.
Purpose of this policy
To ensure all government schools have sufficient construction insurance.
- The Department has insurance for:
- principal controlled construction risks
- minor/urgent maintenance work.
- School councils must ensure that builders do not quote or charge the costs of insurance for any contract let for the construction of works.
Note: Works that are totally or partially funded by sources, other then the Department, must be reported to the Family Payments & Insurance Unit to be covered by the Department’s Construction risks policy.
- indemnifies all insured parties for:
- direct costs incurred in rectifying and/or replacing the contract works following physical loss or damage during the construction period
- the defects liability (maintenance) period.
- legal liability arising out of contracts covered by the physical damage section
- covers all parties:
- involved in the construction process
- who have a financial interest including the school council, principal and project manager
- delivering materials while on site.
For more information, including Certificates of Currency, and Insurance Arrangements Guidelines for Schools, see: Insurance - VMIA Insurance documents - schools and corporate