Purpose of this policy
To ensure that schools effectively manage the risks associated with the storage and use of chemicals, the majority of which will be classified as Dangerous Goods and/or Hazardous Substances.
Schools need to manage chemicals in accordance with Department requirements and must follow the Department’s Chemical Management Procedure (docx - 71.18kb).
The Department's Chemical Management website contains the following guidance sheets for chemical safety:
See: Chemical Management
For advice contact the Department’s OHS Advisory Service on 1300 074 715 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important: In the event of a chemical emergency seek assistance from the fire brigade (dial 000).
Australian Dangerous Goods Code 7th Edition (ADG7 Code)
- Code of Practice for the Storage and Handling of Dangerous Goods 2013
- Dangerous Goods Act 1985
- Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations 2012
- Hazardous Chemical Information System (HCIS)
Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017
- Relevant Australian Standards
For more information see:
For more information and advice contact: