Purpose of this policy
To ensure that cycling programs are organised appropriately to ensure student safety.
To provide a cycling program schools must:
- ensure that:
- staff involved in the program are experienced and preferably qualified in bicycle education
- there is the minimum overall ratio of at least one staff member for every ten students or part thereof
- all cyclists wear an approved bicycle helmet that is fitted and positioned correctly with the chin strap adjusted correctly and secured firmly
- each cyclist wears a conspicuous vest, a bright top, or has a bright flag attached to the bicycle
- all cyclists wear closed toe footwear
- the bicycle is the right size for the student and in good mechanical condition
- have at least:
- one staff member who is qualified in bicycle education
- two staff present with each group of students.
If the program is conducted:
- within school grounds, the local environment or on bicycle paths then it is considered as a day excursion and requires principal approval
- beyond the local environment, on open roads or at BMX tracks then it is considered as an excursions and require school council approval.
Note: The Department does not approve the installation of BMX tracks on school sites.