The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.
Purpose of this policy
To ensure that cycling programs are organised appropriately to ensure student safety.
To provide a cycling program schools must:
- ensure that:
- staff involved in the program are experienced and preferably qualified in bicycle education
- there is the minimum overall ratio of at least one staff member for every ten students or part thereof
- all cyclists wear an approved bicycle helmet that is fitted and positioned correctly with the chin strap adjusted correctly and secured firmly
- each cyclist wears a conspicuous vest, a bright top, or has a bright flag attached to the bicycle
- all cyclists wear closed toe footwear
- the bicycle is the right size for the student and in good mechanical condition
- have at least:
- one staff member who is qualified in bicycle education
- two staff present with each group of students.
If the program is conducted:
- within school grounds, the local environment or on bicycle paths then it is considered as a day excursion and requires principal approval
- beyond the local environment, on open roads or at BMX tracks then it is considered as an excursions and require school council approval.
Note: The Department does not approve the installation of BMX tracks on school sites.