Enrolling in Secondary School (Year 7)

Enrolling your child in a Victorian Government secondary school is a straightforward process

Enrolling your child in a Victorian Government secondary school

If your child is moving from a Victorian government primary or secondary school to another Victorian secondary government school you will be asked to:

  • check and confirm the personal and health information you provided at the previous school to make sure it is accurate and up to date, or
  • fill out a new enrolment form.

Information required includes:

  • evidence of your child's date of birth (if they were not born in Australia, a passport or travel document such as a visa)
  • your contact, phone and address details, and that of any other parent, guardian and/or carer names and contact details of emergency contacts
  • health and welfare information
  • information about the language/s your child speaks and hears at home.

Find a school

To find and contact a school, see: Find an Early Childhood Service or School

Changing schools

Changing schools is a big step for most children. They are leaving behind established relationships with the friends and teachers at their current school and entering a new and unfamiliar environment.

Whether your child is moving from primary to secondary school within Victoria, from another state or from overseas, it is useful for the new school to see school reports and examples of your child’s work from their previous school. This will help the new secondary school to do all they can to make the transition as smooth as possible for your child.

Year 7 placement process

Once you have decided which school you wish your child to attend for Year 7, an application for Year 7 placement form will need to be completed and returned to the Year 6 Coordinator at your school.

If your child attends a non-government primary school, and you have decided to enrol them in Year 7 at a government school, you should follow the same process and return the application to the Year 6 coordinator at your own school. This applies for Year 6 students currently enrolled in government and non-government schools.

Although Year 7 enrolments are determined by secondary schools, all communication regarding the Year 6 to Year 7 transition process must be in written form and lodged through your primary school until the Year 7 placement is confirmed. Transition materials for 2018-2019 will be made available to schools in March 2018

A list of schools in each region that offer Year 7 in 2018 will be released in March 2018

If you require assistance to identify the region in which you are located, see:

Further information

More information on transitions can be found on these pages: