Restrictions and Residential Boundaries

In most instances, you will be able to enrol your child into the government secondary school nearest to where you live.

However, some secondary schools need to restrict their enrolments – and the number of students they can take – to a particular area or zone around the actual school. This means that certain schools can only take students from a specific neighbourhood area.

Where your permanent residential address is will determine whether your child is eligible to enrol in that secondary school.

These enrolment restrictions are sometimes referred to as residential boundaries, school zones, enrolment ceilings or enrolment caps.

You should ask the secondary school you are interested in whether they have any residential boundaries restricting their enrolments and, if so, the extent of the school’s neighbourhood area.