Student Behaviour

Support from school

If your child is having wellbeing or behavioural issues government schools provide a range of supports, from Welfare Officers and Coordinators to school nurses and Student Support Services including speech pathologists and psychologists. For more information, see: Strategies and Supports Available to Schools          

To discuss any specific issues relating to your child's learning and behaviour you should contact your child’s school.  For more information see: 

You can also talk to your schools about a 'Student Support Group' and a 'Behaviour Support Plan'  to help you support your child to engage with school.  

All schools have a Student Engagement Policy that describes the responsibilities and behaviour expectations of principals, staff, school councils and school community members.  For more information, see: Student Engagement and Inclusion Guidelines

How to support your child at home

If you feel that your child is having difficulties it is important to discuss your concerns with them and ask for help when you need it.

Talking and listening to your child at the end of their school day will help you find out what they have done at school, any positive experiences and also any difficulties they may be experiencing.

When talking with your child:

  • try not to criticise or lecture
  • try not to overreact but listen and share your ideas
  • try to treat them with the same courtesy and respect that you show adults
  • remember that talking face-to-face sometimes doesn’t work during these years – so try to make the most of other times, for example when you’re side-by-side while in the car.

Also, remember to speak with your child’s teacher about any concerns you have about their behaviour.

For support or advice on parenting issues, see: Parentline​ or call: 13 22 89


  • Contact the Regional Office if you feel your concerns that have not been addressed by the school