These tips can help you protect your child from choking:
- Be aware of foods that can choke children, such as lollies, popcorn, apples, meat and nuts.
- Objects smaller than a D-size battery can choke children under 3 years.
- Encourage babies to sit calmly and enjoy an unhurried meal. Supervise babies at all meal times.
- Check toys regularly for any small loose parts.
- Button batteries (often found in small toys and gadgets) are especially dangerous. If you think your child has swallowed a button battery, head straight to an Emergency Department. Do not induce vomiting.